penpals + writing letters

















































(source)

penpals?

          want to exchange something pretty via snail mail? all you have to do is be a follower of this blog and leave a comment below with your e-mail address, that or you can e-mail me with your address at contact[@]michellemignon.com

          you have the option to either: receive a letter, postcard or a letter and a postcard. whichever option you choose, you will have to return the favor. we can continue writing or not, it's just nice to receive something handwritten in the mail! cheers to good ol' fashioned letters.

          i knew i wanted to make this post after i received a letter from holland by susie from even sweeter dreams. if you'd like to participate in her snail mail exchange you can do so here. it's little things like this that make me smile.

writing letters
tips adapted from the daring book for girls
  • write a handwritten thank you note or letter when you receive a gift or other form of hospitality.
(start with thank you, mention how the gift will come in handy (or that you appreciated being able to stay with them when you visited their location) and if applicable - mention that you are looking forward to seeing them at some future event. sign off with "love," "with gratitude," "yours truly" or your preferred words.)
  • take it slow and write legibly.
  • the best subject to start with is your friend's last letter.  don't start with a long apology of why it took you so long to write back. go on to what you wanted to write about.
  • don't repeat yourself, this will result in both of you doing so in habit.
  • if you feel you have written a letter with too much "vinegar and pepper" put it aside for a while and rewrite it while adding a little "honey" instead.
  • if your friend makes a severe remark, either make it unnoticed or make your reply less severe. if your friend leaves a friendly remark, make your reply more friendly.
  • when controversial correspondence occurs, don't try to have the last word.
  • if you ever write jestingly, make sure to exaggerate as to make it obvious.
  • if you mention adding something to the letter, as soon as you do-take a break and find said thing. 
  • a classic personal note has five parts and can be handwritten or typed:
the heading: date and (optional) address in the middle of the page.
the greeting: it can begin with dear or simply their name with a comma and line skipped afterward.
the body: the beginning of a paragraph is indented and no lines are skipped between.
the closing: skip a line to write your closing line such as - " all best," "sincerely," "with love," etc.
the signature line: this is where you sign your name. if you are typing the letter, skip 3 lines to type your name and then put your handwritten signature above your printed name.
  • if your letter contains postscript, skip a line after the signature line by writing "p.s." and end it with your initials. common mistake: an additional postscript should be noted as p.p.s. rather than p.s.s.
the last tip reminds of a very good film i watched a couple years ago, "mary and max"















ps: my own small tip - if it's your first letter to someone, start by a current update about you, keep it simple. if it's your first letter to a stranger, again keep it simple and tell them about yourself and your current endeavors. include a question or two for them.

x

10 comments:

  1. I definetely can not say no to this after seeing the trailer of one of my favorite movies under the post =) It is such a great idea and I would love to be involved!
    email address: suzieblue@windowslive.com
    Merrily Merrily,

    Nini
    http://ninilopette.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm happy you're doing this Nini :)!

      x

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this post. You are very correct in saying that one should not apologize for 'taking so long to answer...', I always do and it really makes no difference. My pen pal is a dear friend who seems to have forgiven me over so many years of correspondence when I have repeatedly been late. I will never say I am sorry again. It makes my letters I realize now boring. I never considered the 'art' of letter writing before but will do so now.
    And thank you for your kind words on my blog. Nice to have met you;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's helped me too! I am definitely guilty of doing the same. Lesson learned :)!

      Delete
  3. cool I really love what Fitzgerald wrote to his daughter.....definitely don't sweat the small stuff if only it was easier to remember.
    I think handwritten letters are still significant and special.

    thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? We should have "mood watches" that reminds us of these simple phrases, if only haha :)

      Delete
  4. Oh this is lovely- I enjoy letter writing too! I actually started a little pen pal club through my blog (called the Correspondence Club) and would love to have you join for September if you're interested! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just arrived at your blog, so maybe this is too soon, but can I participate too? ;) I'm already on a penpal group (Lost Letters) and it has been a great experience. Checking the mail to see if there's any letters and reading them over a cup of coffee has been a thrill. My email is thecultureenthusiast@gmail.com
    Your blog is great, by the way! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just stumbled upon your blog. I love writing letters! And I would love to participate in this. My email is c.anneredmond@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete